Thursday, August 21, 2008

Who the hell are you and what gives you the right to criticize a store??

I guess I should explain what I'm all about... I guess I would first consider myself a fanboy, like most of us in the comic collecting realm. I got back into comic collecting last spring, when a coworker would send me endless links to comic related sites, I purchased the Heroes Vol. 1 hardcover and I started looking for the SLG Disney comics (Haunted Mansion and Tron). My coworker took me to his usual store and the rest is now history.... I'm now visiting my favorite local store every 2 weeks, spending about $30 and adding more and more to my pull list.

As I started to get back into collecting, I started to visit some other comic stores that weren't around 15+ years ago or I hadn't been to in 15+ years. Of course, each store was quite different (as expected). I would either come out of a store thinking to myself, "Why the hell did I go in there," or "I wish I lived closer to that store, so I could go there more often." Hence, why I have started this blog.

So, why do I have the "expertise" to criticize such retail outlets? Well, let me provide you with a bit of my working experience... While going to high school and university, I spent 7 years working in retail. I spent 3 years in a record store and 4 years working for the Mouse (i.e. The Disney Store).

Working for both companies taught me both the best and worst in retail sales and customer service. Of course the best came mostly from Disney. I should state that my time spent at Disney was just before the downward spiral, which led them to selling the stores off.

If you know anything about Disney customer service, then you know that it is the best. The company prides itself on service and it sets itself apart from all other retailers.

In terms of merchandising, Disney was also the best at presenting their wares and knowing what to feature.

So, anytime I go shopping, no matter what type of store it is, I'm highly critical of both presentation of the merchandise and customer service. I have walked out of stores before because of poor customer service.

This is why I think I have the right to give my opinions on Comic Stores. If you don't like my opinions, please feel free to post your comments or just don't read my blog anymore. I'm not here to make friends, I'm just here to hopefully help you have a better shopping experience.

Next post: How I plan to review each store.

No comments: